Home » Australian Visas » Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)

Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)

Note that there are two types of Australian work visas. This is a subclass 417 visa which a Thai national cannot apply for. As a Thai you can only apply for the Australian Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462). This visa is limited to certain nationalities which are listed below. If you wish to holiday and work in Australia then see the other visa which a Thai national can apply for in Thailand.

The eligible countries for this subclass visa are listed below. Only nationals of these countries can apply for this visa, you must hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia. Eligible countries are:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom.

Note that much like other Australian visas there are limitations as to what it is that you can do while in the country. As an example you may not be a cook, nanny or a housekeeper. The following are examples of what you are allowed which tends to be menial work.

  • picking fruits on an orchard
  • feeding and herding cattle on a farm
  • horse breeding and stud farming
  • landscaping the grounds of a construction/house site
  • painting the interior/exterior of new buildings
  • conservation and environmental reforestation work
  • zoo work involving plant or animal cultivation
  • erecting fences on a construction site

The visa is very limiting and you may wish to consider other visa options for Australia if these limitations are not what you are looking for. See this website for more visa options for Australia.

Incoming search terms:

Check Also

Australian Fiancée Visa

Australian Fiancée Visa

The Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) is a visa which you have to apply for …