Home » Australian Visas » Australian Child Visa

Australian Child Visa

The Australian child visa is a visa for a Thai child who now wants to join his/her mother in Australia. According to Australian Immigration law the child has to be under the age of 18 in order to apply for this visa. Note however that this class of visa is for a Thai mother who is already an Australian citizen or permanent resident or the Australian father.

Australian Child Visa

There are two types of child visas. The (subclass 802) is for a child already in Australia while (subclass 101) is for a child still in Thailand. Note that if you have applied for an Australian spouse visa or an Australian fiancée visa that you need to speak to the immigration lawyer at the time of application for your visa about the status of your child or children in Thailand if you are taking them with you to Australia. This is a very important step in the application process.

If the Thai mother or father who is now an Australian citizen or Australian national then the following also needs to be taken into account if only the one parent lives in Australia. This child visa can be granted only if you can show one of the following for a child younger than 18 years of age:

  • you have the written consent of each person who can legally decide where the child lives
  • the laws of the child’s home country permit the removal of the child
  • it is consistent with any Australian child order.

Children across international borders come in for very close scrutiny from the authorities. Note that the child not only has to be under the age of 18 but also has to be single. The child will also need a health certificate as well as a criminal record check in Thailand but you need to speak to a lawyer about the necessity of this and also the process when applying for the visa.

Australian Child Visa Requirements

You cannot place siblings on the application and each sibling needs their own visa. If you have two children it will require a visa for each child. The child can also include Australian Child Visadependants on the visa such as their own child. This is mainly if there has been a teenage pregnancy and you child who is under 18 wants to bring your grand-child with her. This grandchild would fall onto the visa of your child.

Proof will need to be provided to show that the child is your blood relative. Also that the child is financially dependent on you their sponsor for their basic needs of food, shelter and clothing, and how long this support has been provided. The lists of documents for this visa is extensive and you will need to seek legal advice from an immigration expert in Thailand about this.

There are a number of Australian visas which one can apply for. These depending on your relations, location and also qualifications in order to live and work in Australia. Search this website for more visa options for migration to Australia.

Check Also

Australian Fiancee Visa

Australian Fiancee Visa

This is the Australian fiancee visa process. The Australian Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) is …